Friday, December 10, 2010

Butterflies are One of my Greatest Fears

I am going to tell you a story from my childhood.  When I was in first grade, my teacher taught us about butterflies.  We studied them and we even raised some.  Then, as a grand finale to our butterfly study, we went to a butterfly house.

When we got there, my teacher told us that if we all stood very still, and were very quiet, that the butterflies would land on us.  I did not want this to happen.  I don't know when my butterfly phobia started, but it must have been at a very young age, because I was definitely terrified of those evil, demon winged beasts.  I didn't want them anywhere near me.  So, you can probably guess what I did.  I left very calmly and waited outside.

That was what should have happened.

This is what actually happened.

Upon hearing that being very still and quiet would get the butterflies to land on me, I began to run around and scream.  To my first-grader mind, this made complete sense.  Butterflies wanted me to stand still and be quiet so they could land on me, I did not want butterflies to land on me, I ran around and screamed.

It's basic logic.

Anyway, my screaming rampage continued until someone (I think it was my mom) had the presence of mind to pull me out of there and calm me down.

And that, my friends, is how my elementary school was forever banned from that butterfly house.  The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment