Thursday, February 17, 2011

In Memory of the Fearsome Miss Ginger, Who Passed Into Beyond the Beyond Today, Then Passed Back Into the Realm of the Living, and Then Passed Her Way Right on Out of the School.

It was a SADD thing.  There were a couple of SADD members who went around all day, pulling other SADD members out of class every 30 minutes and taking them somewhere to die (read: get their faces painted white and put on a black T-shirt with some anti-drunk driving/texting while driving/doing drugs while driving message.)  My beloved friend, the Fearsome Miss Ginger, who is the elder sister of the Wonderful Miss Funshine, was one of the first to go.  'Twas very sad indeed, especially because she's married (read: "married" [as in fake married]) to the King/Archbishop of Marching Band, whom she left a widower.  She also left the Wonderful Miss Funshine a sort of half-orphan, because the Fearsome Miss Ginger and the King/Archbishop of Marching Band are the Wonderful Miss Funshine's parents in this whole odd familial situation.  The King/Archbishop of Marching Band had to get a second job as a ballet teacher to support his family after this incident. 

Aside from the "death" of my friend, the day was rather entertaining.  We had a pep rally for the last ninety minutes of the school day.  I have yet to meet someone who has been able to explain to me exactly why we had a pep rally, but I guess I don't really care that much anyway. 

Getting back to what I was actually talking about, the pep rally consisted of a series of odd tests of skill (skill?)  Okay, so they weren't really tests of skill, they were just kind of...um...well, I don't know exactly what they were, but suffice it to say that it consisted of many mini-challenges that pitted all of the classes against each other.  My class won, and now we get a pizza party.  I was actually part of the festivities for one of the little contests.  In that contest, we had to bounce pencils into four different cups.  We had to get one pencil in each cup in order to win.

I sucked at it.

The game gave me the impression of being something that some of the students who are, shall we say, a little more versed in the ways of partying, would be better at.  From this assessment, I drew the conclusion that the King/Archbishop of Marching Band and I, as card-carrying teetotalers, would be absolutely awful and that we would achieve a failure so catastrophic that we would either be forever shamed, or the universe would collapse in on itself.

I was only half right.

You see, as it turns out, the King/Archbishop of Marching Band had a hidden talent for this game.  It was kind of impressive.  Meanwhile, I was on the other side of the table trying to get a stupid pencil to land inside of the one cup for the entire duration of the contest.  The Stellar Miss Moon kept trying to cheer us on, but I just told her to shut up (in a nice way.  In my group of friends, verbal abuse is a sign of love.)  Here is a little snippet of the dialogue between the King/Archbishop of Marching Band and myself during the competition:

The King/Archbishop of Marching Band:  *Says part of some sort of prayer*
Me:  St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle!
The King/Archbishop of Marching Band:  Defend us!
*Pencil lands in cup*

It was definitely one of the cooler moments of my day (the school day, anyway.  I went out and did some fun things with some friends, which I may put into another post.  It depends on just how motivated I am.)

3 comments:

  1. Это является удивительным. Просто, чтобы вы знали.

    I did that on purpose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have no idea how excited I am to have one comment. It made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You forgot to mention that my father, the King/Archbishop of Marching Band, has a drinking problem...

    ReplyDelete